Wednesday, October 26, 2011

What about a walk-bak?

I often find myself lugging things just a few blocks, and wishing I had a good, capacious cart to lug everything from animals to furniture just the 1/4 mile to my apartment. I've been taking note of how people are getting this done right now.

We are very accustomed to seeing people lugging shopping or laundry around in these:


...and regularly see kids, dogs and entire picnics loaded in these:











And I just saw a construction worker towing tools in this:










And this really wouldn't be a surprising sight in my neck o' the woods:

















All of these solutions work, but I feel they all have weaknesses. The granny carts are made very cheaply, and are too deep to reach down into. The Radio Flyers are not very durable, and like the strollers, really are just made for kids, and the utility cart is just too .... utilitarian.

As much as I love the idea of loading all of this on some cool bakfiets (Dutch for 'box-bike') and zipping off, the idea struck me that the bike part of a bakfiets makes the cargo part very incompatible with owners living in small apartments, who don't have a good place to store them, and it also makes adding collapsibility very challenging.

What if there was just a really spacious, durable cart for schlepping things a few blocks in your neighborhood? What about a collapsible walk-bak?

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to see a sturdier version of the granny cart with top and bottom compartments to protect contents against crushing if the load gets heavy.

    ReplyDelete