Tuesday, October 11, 2011

So, here goes....

I'm starting a small company designing and making products that encourage and empower urban people to be mobile without motors more often, and throughout the entire year.

I anticipate the product offerings to grow to cover a wide range: accessories for pedestrians, gear for bikes, things to improve your transit experience, and (eventually) commercial-grade cargo bikes.

This blog will track my process of building the business from scratch. It is a way of keeping me honest and proactive. As my viewers increase, I will undoubtedly feel more responsible for making evident progress, and documenting it for your viewing pleasure. And quite frankly, I'm hoping it will also generate interest in the products and services I will be developing.

And though it might sound ungracious or naive, I'll admit that I'm hoping for support, but not necessarily advice. I've done this before, and I will not be taking the normal route of starting a business. So your well-intentioned advice to go talk to SCORE will go unheeded. I also share the view (with many others) that design by committee often leads to compromised results. I will definitely solicit suggestions when I'm stumped on something, but for the most part I'm looking for nothing more than positive feedback.

I will post progress here weekly, and occasionally post surveys that offer rewards for completion, and even host events where I get to thank you for just being there.

Oh, and the name of the company (for which I've already procured a domain) will be Toynbee Carriage Co.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations Carl. I am with you in this, either you need a hand, or an extra leg, let me know..
    When you get a chance, i love to hear this in more detail.

    Cheers,
    Cigdem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. Now hurry up. Good Luck. Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Carl!
    Thanks for making me sign up for yet another social networking site just to comment on this !
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an awesome idea. And starting the blog to document is great, too. In addition to keeping you honest, it will help build a core group of supporters as well as customers.

    What is your first product?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, worth the effort, I assure you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Steve!
    There's several ideas awaiting development:
    1)laptop bag that's more crowded-train-friendly.
    2)device that eases loading cargo on your bike.
    3)improvements to existing cargo bikes.
    4)accessories that beautify your bike while boosting functionality.

    More will come down the pike, as I spend time brainstorming with others....

    ReplyDelete