Monday, November 7, 2011

Grocery Getter

I just followed an electron trail from other blogs to come across this one, and in particular this post:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/20/mmm-challenge-try-getting-your-groceries-with-a-bike-trailer/

A couple quotes jumped out at me, for their stark contrast:
"It’s very frustrating to drive to any of these stores, because you can see your final destination long before you reach it. “Oh! There’s the grocery store right there! Oh, shit, but here’s a long traffic light. Slow down. Stop. Idle. Wait for the crossing street’s left turners. Wait for the crossing street’s main traffic. Red light for everyone. Wait for the oncoming traffic’s left turners. OK, finally green for me. GO!!! Cut into a turning lane. Wait for more traffic. Enter parking lot. Wait for moms and kids pushing shopping carts. Wait for single lady to back out of parking space at 0.0007 MPH in the shiny black Escalade. Take spot far from store. Get out, lock car, start walking."


That, compared to Mrs. M's first bike grocery experience:
"The bike ride was extremely pleasant, even though it was all by road..... I cut through a park and took the small back roads to end up behind the grocery store (I’m sure you can find a special route as well). I got there quickly and was amazed at how easy and relaxing the bike ride was – it was quiet and I hardly saw a car. I locked the bike right next to the front door (how convenient is that!?)...."


This to me is a good quality of life indicator. If the regular tasks of life add to your stress and annoyance, then something is wrong with the way you're having to do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment